Health & Community Studies
Orientation to Daycare & HeadStart
The Orientation to Daycare & HeadStart program is a modular program delivered as an Applied Certificate. Courses and practicum prepare students to provide quality care to children according to both mainstream and Indigenous theory and practice. The program is designed to provide professional development opportunities for individuals who are currently employed in the field.
This program is available for purchase by communities. It is available in online and classroom delivery formats. Please contact Barb Sankey- Dean, Post-Secondary Studies (email@example.com) for information on brokerage or seat purchase.
- Saskatchewan Grade 12 or Adult 12, Mature Admissions ( or Grade 10, with 2 years work experience in the field and 2 reference letters from recent employers).
- All applicants must be currently employed within a First Nations Child Care/HeadStart centre.
- OCOM 114 Communications for Care Givers (30 hours)
- ODAY 116 Day Care Operations (30 hours)
- ODEV 117 Program Development (30 hours)
- OHSN 118 Health, Safety and Nutrition (30 hours)
- OITP 115 Caring for Infants, Toddlers and Preschoolers (30 hours)
- OEXC 119 Caring for Exceptional Children (30 hours)
- OINT 120 Introduction to Headstart (30 hours)
- RAC 121 Practicum (75 hours)